Post-Tensioned Concrete Services
Post-tensioned (PT) concrete construction is a method of strengthening concrete or other materials with high-strength steel cables or strands, commonly referred to as tendons.
PT concrete construction allows for longer and more efficient slab and beams than the same structural elements constructed with conventional reinforcing steel. Irregular or random loading can be accommodated, so each floor in a structure can have a different use such as parking, retail, office, and residential with varying floor plates.
Buildings constructed with PT concrete can have large interior clear-span spaces unobstructed by vertical structural supports. Longer spans translate into more useable space—especially important on constrained infill sites.
Post-tensioned applications include:
- Parking structures and podium decks
- Office and apartment buildings
- Sports stadiums
GCI provides inspection services for each portion of the reinforcing steel and PT system installation process including:
- Shear rail installations
- Reinforcing steel installations
- Beam reinforcing steel
- Top and bottom mat reinforcing steel installations
- Temperature/shrinkage steel between banded lines
- Banded and uniform PT strand installations
- Stressing work inspection
- Perimeter crash wall/upturned beam installations
- Trim steel around slab openings and corners
- Compressive strength of the concrete
Contact GCI at 614.895.1400 to arrange post-tensioning testing services for your project.
David A. Kalkbrenner, P.E. - firstname.lastname@example.org